Included on this page are highlights from our policies and procedures. The South Avondale Student Handbook includes more detail on each of these items.
As a reminder, our hours are:
- Breakfast: 7:15 a.m. - 7:55 a.m.
- School Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
(Preschool eats in class after arriving at 7:45 a.m., in the room.)
To report an absent child, call the school office or email us using this Absence Reporting Form.
Student behavior that distracts bus drivers is a hazard to the vehicle's safe operation, and jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all passengers. Misbehavior while on a yellow school bus or a Metro bus can result in disciplinary action for the student or the suspension of transportation service for the student. Read more about our requirements for student behavior on buses.
Review CPS' Code of Conduct for disciplinary procedures.
South Avondale has a school-wide discipline plan that was developed by a School Discipline Committee. All students are expected to follow all school-wide rules. Students will be rewarded for positive behavior.
Tiger Expectations Are:
- I Will Be Respectful.
- I Will Be Responsible.
- I Will Be Safe.
- I Will Be a Problem Solver.
- We Will Not Bully Others.
- We Will Help Others Who Are Bullied.
- We Will Include Everyone and Not Leave Anyone Out.
- If I See Someone Being Bullied, I Will Tell An Adult at Home and/or At School.
South Avondale has uniform framework required for all students. All students must be in school uniform everyday.
- Students are not allowed to wear baggy or drooping pants, shorts above the knee, midriff tops or halter tops. In addition, flip flops are allowed due to safety concerns.
- Tops — Students are allowed to wear polo collared shirts in colors of orange, white, black, blue, navy or yellow.
- Bottoms — Students are allowed to wear pants, skirts, uniform knee-length shorts or jumpers in colors of black, navy blue or khaki. Plain blue or black jeans are also acceptable, no rips, holes, prints or designs.
- Footwear — Students are to wear shoes that cover the entire foot. Please avoid wearing flip flops, sandals or slippers as they may become a safety concern.
Snow Days and School Delays
Snow days and school delays are announced on our website, local TV and radio stations, CPS' mobile app, and through automated phone calls. Assume school is open unless you hear otherwise. Learn more about CPS' severe weather and emergency closing procedures.
Visiting During School Hours
We welcome visits from parents and guardians. However, to protect student safety, all visitors must sign in at the main office and wear a visitor's badge. Parents/guardians who would like a conference with their child's teacher must schedule an appointment with the teacher.